Astrolabe Province Marlborough Pinot Noir 2015
"The Astrolabe Province Marlborough Pinot Noir is made from grapes grown in the lower Waihopai and Wairau Valleys, the upper Brancott Valley and the Kekerengu Coast. The grapes were handpicked and aged for 11 months in oak barrels. In the winery, we take great care to handle the fruit in a way which allows the flavours and aromas of the region to come through. I seek to maintain svelte plushness and good length in my Pinot Noir, built around a natural vibrancy of fruit."
– Simon Waghorn, Winemaker
Style Notes :
- Variety: 100% Pinot Noir, clones 667, 777, 115, 10/5, Abel, 114 and UCD5
- Origin: New Zealand
- Locality: The lower Waihopai and upper Brancott Valleys, Kekerengu Coast and lower Wairau, Marlborough, New Zealand
Tasting Notes :
- Colour/Appearance: Bright deep garnet.
- Aroma/Bouquet: Savoury ripe dark and red cherry, brambly fruits with a hint of smoky oak.
- Palate: Full bodied wine with round, mouth filling flavours of plum, brambly fruit and dark cherry. The oak integrates nicely with the fruit, and combines well with the silky and linear tannin structure.
- Cellaring: This wine should cellar well until at least 2020. Bottling date was 9th March, 2015.
- Suggested Food: Venison, lamb, wild game and game fowl, Asian-style duck, seared tuna and swordfish.