Astrolabe Province Marlborough Pinot Gris 2016
Our grapes are sourced entirely from unique Marlborough sites to add layers of complexity to our wines. Each site was chosen for the distinctive flavour it produces. We work with dedicated growers who understand the rhythms of the land and know how to grow grapes that express the terroir. The Astrolabe Province Marlborough Pinot Gris is made from grapes grown across three Marlborough sub-regions — the Wairau Valley, the Awatere Valley and the Kekerengu Coast.
Half of the grapes are machine harvested at night and whole-cluster pressed to preseve the lifted fruit characters and the rest is handpicked to add fine texture, weight and minerality. In the winery, we take great care to handle the fruit in a way which allows the flavours and aromas of the region to come through. I aim for an aromatic, crisp and precise Pinot Gris, with the ability to pair well with food and to bottle age gracefully.
Simon Waghorn, Winemaker.
Style Notes :
- Variety: 100% Pinot Gris
- Origin: New Zealand
- Locality: Wairau, Awatere Valleys, and Kekerengu Coast, NZ
Tasting Notes :
- Colour/Appearance: Light Straw
- Aroma/Bouquet: Pear and quince, light peach and citrus rind and a whiff of cardamom and nougat
- Palate: Pure, focussed wine with a delicacy of structure, finishing crisp and dry. Stonefruit and pear flavours dominate, followed by some light citrus
- Cellaring: Will age gracefully over the next six years
- Suggested Food: Great as an aperitif, with shellfish and seafood, pâtés, poultry, pork and light game as well as creamy mushroom or egg dishes